Wednesday, October 5, 2022, 8:20 AM-4:30 PM (ET) 1777 F Street NW, Rockefeller-Peterson Room
Please join the Global Taiwan Institute (GTI) at our 2022 annual symposium, featuring leading policy experts and prominent keynote speakers on US-Taiwan relations. The event, taking place over the course of a full day, in-person session, will be organized around four engaging panel discussions on a range of challenges and opportunities facing the United States and Taiwan as they work to advance the rules-based international order.
As GTI’s flagship event, the symposium is an annual forum that convenes leading experts on US-Taiwan policy to discuss current challenges and propose potential future solutions. At this year’s event, our panels will examine the state of grand strategy in the wake of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, rising economic and supply chain issues, increasing international involvement in the Taiwan Strait, and prospects for strengthened cooperation on deterrence and national defense.
Please refer to the agenda below for the list of confirmed speakers. We invite you to continue to check our website and social media as we confirm and update speakers and guests. Questions for the panels may either be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or through the chat function on the YouTube page.
Doors will open at 7:45 AM, and the event will begin at 8:20 AM. If you plan on attending in-person, please RSVP here by October 3, as seating is limited. Please only register if you would like to attend in-person. Lunch will be provided. Please direct any questions to Program Manager Marshall Reid at email@example.com.
The event will also be broadcast live on our website and on YouTube beginning at 8:20 AM.
**Media: Please contact Marshall Reid at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to bring additional crew members or equipment so that we can be sure to accommodate you.
COVID Procedures: Proof of vaccination will be required at check in. Persons who do not provide proof of full vaccination will not be admitted to enter the premises unless the guest is under the age of 12 or has been granted a medical exemption approved by the event organizer.
8:20 AM – 8:30 AM Welcome Remarks
- Jennifer Hu, Chair of the Board of Directors, Global Taiwan Institute
8:30 AM – 8:40 AM Introductory Remarks
- Ambassador Hsiao Bi-khim, Representative, Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office in the United States (TECRO)
8:40 AM-8:55 AM Opening Keynote
- H.E. Tsai Ing-wen, President, Republic of China (Taiwan)
9:00 AM – 10:30 AM Panel One: Grand Strategy Post-Russian Invasion of Ukraine
- Victor Cha (Center for Strategic and International Studies)
- Nobukatsu Kanehara (Doshisha University)
- Miles Yu (Hudson Institute)
- Ash Jain (Atlantic Council)
- Russell Hsiao (Global Taiwan Institute)
10:30 AM – 10:40 AM Coffee Break
10:40 AM – 12:10 PM Panel Two: Economic Security, Tech, and Trade
- Christian Castro (Former State Department)
- Shihoko Goto (Woodrow Wilson Center)
- Amb. Kurt Tong (The Asia Group)
- Jonathan Ward (Atlas Organization)
- Riley Walters (Global Taiwan Institute/Hudson Institute)
12:10 PM – 1:00 PM Luncheon Keynote
- Ambassador James F. Moriarty, Chairman of the Board of Trustees, American Institute in Taiwan
1:00 PM – 2:30 PM Panel Three: Cross-Strait Relations and Internationalization of the Strait
- Amb. Raymond Burghardt (Former American Institute in Taiwan)
- Bonnie Glaser (German Marshall Fund)
- Michael Mazza (Global Taiwan Institute/German Marshall Fund/American Enterprise Institute)
- Lt. Col. (ret.) Mark Stokes (Project 2049 Institute/Global Taiwan Institute)
- John Dotson (Global Taiwan Institute)
2:30 PM – 2:40 PM Coffee Break
2:40 PM – 4:10 PM Panel Four: Integrated Deterrence, Defense, and Security Cooperation
- Lt. Col. (ret.) Ivan Kanapathy (Center for Strategic and International Studies)
- Cdr. (ret.) Vincent P. Chen (Global Taiwan Institute)
- Shirley Kan (Global Taiwan Institute)
- Toshi Yoshihara (Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments)
- Lt. Gen. (ret.) Wallace “Chip” Gregson (Global Taiwan Institute/Sasakawa Peace Foundation)
4:10 PM – 4:30 PM Closing Keynote
* This list includes only confirmed speakers.